It was a hard fought game but our BoSox pulled it off. Rick Porcello whirled off, well it wasn’t a gem but it was a decent outing, while an extra-innings surge put the Sox up top after our bullpen surprisingly did not implode and give up the game. Aside from a bit of a rough fourth inning, Porcello was as effective as ever while Xander Bogaerts played hero driving in three runs including the game-winning go ahead single in the 10th. Craig Kimbrel then came on to slam the door getting his 14th save of the season while Sox stopped their skid and maintained their place half a game out of first.
- As if you couldn’t love Bogey any more, the kid went 2-5 while driving in three runs including a two-run bloop single to center as he maintains his place at the top of the AL with a .346 BA.
- David Ortiz made a cameo appearance as he drove in a run with a pinch hit ground-out to tie the game at 3-3, nice to see Papi doing his thing.
- Chris Young did pretty well going 1-3 while driving in a run and making a sensational catch in foul territory down the left field line. For all the sh*t I give him, he’s a good outfielder.
- Mookie Betts was no slouch either going 2-5 (batting .287 on the season) while bunting to load the bases in the 10th to set up the Sox’ big comeback.
- Great job by the pen, four pitchers combined for four shut out innings while allowing two hits and striking out four–pretty damn good.
- Rough day for Travis Shaw and Hanley Ramirez who went a combined 0-9.
Starting Pitcher Rewind
Pretty good start for Porello against a decent-ish lineup. The slim righty allowed three runs while scattering five hits and a walk over six innings of work. He struck out six, and showed some real grit after wriggling out of a bases loaded jam in the fourth. All things considered, it was a good start for Porcello and one to build off of.
With the win we are still half a game out of first, but four games ahead of Toronto (six ahead of the Skankees), if the Sox could pull off a win tonight it’d be huge, so stay up late and stay tuned!