Wow what a game. Eduardo Rodriguez was solid through the first three before walks and a homer sunk his chances at a bounceback start, but who cares because the Red Sox scored 15 runs! Xander Bogaerts led the charge going 4-5 (batting .358) while smacking his 8th homer of the season while Jackie Bradley Jr slugged his 10th, and David Ortiz went 3-5. The Sox scored four runs in a big first inning, but the Twins tied it up scoring three runs in the fourth and one in the fifth. Our favorite starting nine didn’t give Minnesota hope for long though as they scored 10 runs between the eighth and ninth to burry the Twins and surge forward to their second straight win.
- Either you think Bogey is the best player in the MLB or you’re wrong. Xander had yet another four-hit game while surpassing his 2015 HR total as he continues to impress. The young shortstop showed some great baseball smarts as well going from first to third on a groundout (really, a groundout).
- He wasn’t the only big hitter though, Papi smacked three hits (batting .346 on the season) while JBJ smacked a homer, and Mookie Betts went 2-6 while driving in two runs.
- Oh and Sany Leon went 4-4 with a walk as he is still batting 1.000 on the season.
- Solid effort from the pen, five pitchers combined for 4.1 shutout innings–heck of a lot better than Rodriguez that’s for sure.
- Rough outing for the kid, more on that in the next section though but damn does the longball hurt Rodriguez.
Starting Pitcher Rewind
It started out promising enough; Rodriguez worked through the first three with ease as he touched 93 with his fastball and dazzled with his array of offspeed pitches. The young lefty then ran into trouble walking men to set up a three-run bomb that promptly turned his outing from “Oh Rodriguez really bounced back today” to “Oy, he sucks”. He left after 4.2 having served up four runs on six hits and four walks while striking out four–and this is a truly crappy team too. Yikes!
With the win the Sox are now tied in first with the O’s and now eye a sweep to leave the series on a high note. Stay tuned for some day game action today and as always Go Sox!